I told you that this was coming.
Happy new year, everyone! I can’t believe that it’s 2017. 2016 was always the year in my mind that was the end of everything (meaning the end of high school), so I never really thought much about 2017. And yet here we are.
Also, yesterday was my two year blogiversary, so that’s also exciting.
At the start of last year, I wrote a post with my plans and goals for the year. Now it’s time to see if I succeeded.
– Graduate high school (hopefully with excellence). I completed this one, not only with excellence, but also as runner up dux, so I exceeded my own expectations.
– Turn 18. Yup, at the end of September. It was a good day.
– Do more Queen’s Award stuff. I can say that I have done this. I actually failed one of the tasks, but I was able to resubmit it, and hopefully I passed. I have finally started on the assignment, although I still haven’t started another part of it. So in some ways, I succeeded. In other ways, not so much.
– Take as many opportunities as possible, while still keeping on top of everything. I would have to say that I did. At times, everything was a bit overwhelming, but I managed, and I’m glad that I put in the effort.
– Try new things, like busking. I did this twice in January, and it was heaps of fun. Exhausting, but fun. As for other new things, I’ve done a few, but nothing too extravagant. Although I did discover that I like prawns. And I dyed my hair! I guess that was kind of extravagant. You can barely tell the difference, but still.
– Maintain a tidy room. Debatable. In general, it’s tidier. I cleared out my wardrobe for the first time in about a decade, which is nothing short of a miracle. My current project is my desk. The top of my desk is clear at the moment, because I dumped everything on the floor and started sorting through it. But yes. I succeeded.
– Practice flute more. Yes and no. I passed my performances, but only just. Now that they’re done, though, I never have to play pieces that I don’t want to. I’ve been accumulating music of songs that I want to play, and it’s made it much more enjoyable. I’m not going to miss performing.
– Keep on top of my schoolwork. I mean, I didn’t fail any internals, which is a good sign (although sometimes I probably came pretty close). I don’t have exam results back yet, but my hopes aren’t high for Chemistry. I’m not very good at studying, so I don’t think I did too well. But I’m actually not that bothered.
– Procrastinate less. The fact that I can’t remember the last time that I went to bed before midnight is probably a good enough answer for this one.
– Go to Easter Camp. Yes. I went. It was stellar.
– Go on Year 13 camp. It was also stellar. So much fun.
– Do a super exciting thing that involves a country I’ve never been to before. I went to Fiji on a mission trip in July, and it was both an awesome time and a very challenging time. I also went to Australia (which I had been to before) at the end of November, which was awesome.
– Have two more surgeries. I had the first one in August, and I have an appointment to see the surgeon about the second. Progress.
– Enjoy my last year of high school. I sure did!
– Finish Girls’ Brigade. Yup, that happened. I’ll be going back as a leader, at least until I complete my Queen’s Award, but I’m no longer a Girls’ Brigader.
– Write something, even if it’s just a little something. Barely. But there’s hope for this year.
– Read lots of books. Final total: 160. I’d say that’s lots.
– Continue blogging. More sporadically than I’d hoped, but I’m still doing it, so I’d say that I achieved this one.
– Get closer to God. This year has been both amazing and terrible in that area, but I’m getting there.
A mostly successful year, I must say!
So. What are my plans for 2017?
– Go on GB national camp. This is in a couple of weeks, and I’m excited.
– Start university. Again, I’m excited. Also really nervous and scared. But excited.
– Get a job. Because university costs money.
– Become healthier. My current lifestyle includes junk food, sleeping at weird hours, and minimal exercise. Which needs to change.
– Play flute on occasion. I do enjoy it, so it would be pretty sad if I just stopped playing.
– Get my Queen’s Award. There’s still heaps to do, but I can see the finish line, and I’m excited.
– Get my learner’s license (maybe). I don’t drive because I have no depth perception. But I should probably at least try.
– Procrastinate less. Always an issue.
– Have a surgery. It’s literally been nearly a year and a half since I first went to the doctor about my eyelid being droopy again. Surely surgery can’t be too far away.
– Write something. One of my papers in semester one is Creative Writing, so hopefully that’ll help.
– Read lots of books. As always.
– Become closer to God. Because you can never be too close.
– Enjoy life. This is probably my biggest one, and all of the others are part of it. Honestly, if I can look back at 2017 and know that I was happy, then I won’t really care too much about most of the others.
That’s the plan for this year. Who knows how things will turn out?
Anyone have any big plans for 2017? Any resolutions? I’d love to hear them!